Saturday, February 23, 2008

Surveying the Loot

Todd looks like he has Tilly in a headlock as he puts together one of Logan's new toys. He claims he was just hugging her.

Today was Logan's birthday party at The Little Gym, and boy did he have a great time playing with his relatives, not to mention scoring some neat gifts. Thankfully, Todd got cranking with the assembly as soon as we got home and I haven't had to install a single battery or wrestle with a zip-tie.

We've promised Logan a Power Wheels ride-on vehicle once he's fully potty-trained, and it looks like the milestone will coincide with this birthday. That means we'll kill two birds with one stone and incorporate it as his birthday gift as well as his reward.

It's not a cheap conquest; in fact, I used to walk past these vehicles in the store and laugh to myself. How could someone spend nearly $300 on a battery-powered toy when there were perfectly respectable bicycles on the same shelf for 1/8 the cost? I didn't grow up that way, and by golly, neither would my kid. Something with pedals would have to suffice or he could just do without.

I ate my words once he started inching toward age 4 and showed no interest in shucking his diapers. First, I tried to use candy as a reward, but it quickly lost its appeal. Next, it was Hot Wheels cars, but that didn't work, either. Everything I read warned against using punishment as a potty-training tool; experts said it would just backfire and prolong the process. Knowing how strong-willed my son can be, I don't doubt it.

So we dangled the promise of that car like a piece of bait, and he wasted very little time in biting. That's unfortunate for our bank account, but if I don't have to buy any size 7 diapers, or even worse, Depends, you won't hear a single complaint from me.

No comments: